Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Interview "Daniel Conn"







DNA Exclusive Interview With Daniel Conn

Why did you decide to do the calendar?_
Basically because of the cause. It’s for the McGrath Foundation. They raise money for breast cancer support and it seemed like a good thing to do and a lot of the boys were keen.

What was it like stripping down for the camera? Did you get nervous?
No, I didn’t get nervous. Pedro and the crew were all really professional about it so it was all good.

What do you do to stay in shape?
We train seven days a week at the moment. It involves stuff like wrestling, weights, running, triathlon and swimming. We’ve got to watch our diets as well, but when you’re training as much as we do it doesn’t really matter too much what we put in our bodies because we burn it off eventually.

Do you care that gay guys are going to buy the calendar?
No, I’m cool with that. I’m pretty comfortable with my sexuality but it’s a bit of a laugh.



Would you ever pose for a gay mag?
I haven’t really thought about it… Yeah, I’d give it a go.

Do women throw themselves at you because you’re a footy player?
No. I wish. They all say they do but it doesn’t happen.

Have you had any freaky fan moments?
I had an older woman chase me down the street to sign the calendar the other day. All my mates were around so it was a little embarrassing.



Do you have any gay mates?
I’ve got some girlfriends that have gay mates and they seem like pretty funny blokes. I’d call them my mates, yeah.

How would you and your team react if one of your teammates came out?
I reckon we’re all pretty understanding. We’d be good about it all. It would probably be a bit weird at first but I think we’d all build a bridge and get over it.



What’s the most memorable moment in your sporting career so far?
Probably making my debut for the Bulldogs.

You recently did a commercial with Tara Reid. What was it like working with her?
She was a pretty cool chick in the end. I thought she’d be a bit of a clichéd sort of American bimbo but she was really cool. We got along really well.

Who would you rather sit next to on a plane: Jessica Simpson, Lisa Simpson or OJ Simpson?_
Jessica Simpson seems like a bit of a bimbo, so I’d probably go for OJ Simpson and have a bit of a yarn.

What’s the gayest CD you own?
I’ve got a bit of Elton John in there somewhere so that’d probably take the prize.


Photography by Pedro Virgil.


0 comments: